Blog 1: Uncanny Valley & Sketches

Cade Boden

August 29, 2021


Quick Poses Sketches

1.  I drew many sketches on Quick Poses, however I feel after I watched the videos I was able to get a keen understanding of how to draw the structure of a human pretty quickly and make a rough outline. Out of the sketches I made I believe these two ended up being my best.


Uncanny Valley and Game Characters 

When I went around campus searching for items and places of interest I was able to think of 3 sketches based on what I came across that would avoid the concept of Uncanny Valley. Based on the article What is Uncanny Valley? It described the concept of uncanny valley to be the area that turns something from being close to human into something off turning or very creepy (Caballar, 2019). The characters I created for this were 

These different images were based off of an elevator in the communication building, and a trash can in the Wanek building.
 





I felt these avoided the uncanny valley concept for different reasons. The trash can I felt was able to avoid the concept due to one of the stated sentence in the reading which was, "The effect can be reduced by not creating robots or computer-animated characters that combine features on different sides of a boundary—for example, human and nonhuman, living and nonliving, or real and artificial,"(Caballar, 2019). So in this way, I decided to made a creature that didn't really represent a human but instead something closer to a monster. I felt the Elevator character was able to avoid was due to the emotion I showed on the character. In the reading it states how the emotion and the way the character acts can determine if a game character could be effected by the uncanny valley, I felt when I made the characters, the features and expressions he showed was able to make him have a much cuter feeling instead of off putting to a person who would look at him.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #2: High Concept and Map

Post #3:shape, Scale, Color